Traditional Glass Carving Experience in Tokyo
- Duration: 90 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Taitou-ku, Tokyo
- Product code: EN-TKO-1037-10370
Experience the essence of Japan at its vibrant best with Edo Kiriko, a traditional Japanese craft in which delicate patterns are carved onto the glass. Select your favorite design from ten beautiful patterns to carve along the sides or bottom, and carefully box your glass to take home.
- Select your favorite design from ten samples to carve along the side and bottom of your glass.
- Make your one-of-a-kind souvenir.
- 30 seconds on foot from Asakusa Station.
Carving Explanation · Practice (20 minutes) → Select a pattern for the bottom of the glass and carve (30 minutes) → Select a pattern for the side of the glass and carve (30 minutes) → Photo (10 minutes)
Edo Kiriko is a traditional Japanese craft in which detailed patterns are carved onto the surface of the glass. It is believed that Kiriko glass cutting dates back to 1834 in the Edo period, and continues to thrive in present-day Tokyo. In 1985, Edo Kiriko glasswork was recognized as one of Tokyo's traditional craftworks and, in 2002, was recognized as the official traditional handicraft of Japan.
Be inspired by our ultimate travel collection, and treat yourself to one of Japan's most celebrated artistic traditions. We hope you experience Japan's culture of authentic handmade crafts and indulge in Kiriko glass cutting for yourself in our traditional workshop.
1. Carving explanation, demonstration, and practice (20 minutes)
2. Select from ten patterns, and carve along the bottom of the glass (30 minutes)
3. Select from ten patterns, and carve along the side of the glass (30 minutes)
4. Photograph the final product (10 minutes)
You can take home your finished glass.
From first-time visitors to adults with children, this program is tailored to suit every level. Your handmade souvenir can be carefully boxed for taking home (please note we accept delivery for a fee). Whether you are familiar with Kiriko glass cutting or not, enjoy an authentic Edo Kiriko experience, and create a lifetime of memories you will cherish forever.
【Things to note】
Meeting point： Glass Factory Sokichi [MAP]
2-1-14, Kaminarimon, Taitou-ku, Tokyo Japan
● From Ginza Line Asakusa Station, exit at the 4th exit and you'll pass two shops; a restaurant (Gonpachi) and a liquor store (Asakusa Yomo), after which you will arrive at your destination.
● From Asakusa Line Asakusa Station, exit at the 3rd exit, pass the narrow street side of Kaminari-mon Post Office, and turn right at a Chinese restaurant (Hong Kong Tei), turn left, and walk 300m.
5 minutes on foot from Sensoji Temple, Kaminari-mon
Language support：English and Chinese are available. Please contact us in advance.
Items to bring：Glasses, reading glasses, hair bands (provided if required)
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.