Zen Meditation Experience at the Temple of "The Last Samurai"
- Duration: 210 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Himeji, Hyogo
- Product code: EN-HYG-7062-70620
Let’s try real Buddhist practices, Zazen and Shakyo (hand-copying sutra), at a magnificent temple on the top of a mountain, which is known as the setting of the famous movie, The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise. You can refresh at the sacred place by meditating and concentrating on the practices. A Buddhist monk will lead the way and introduce various episodes regarding Buddhism. If you add an option, after the practices, you will have vegetarian cuisine. Since meat is not used for the cuisine, a vegetarian can also enjoy this plan.
Reduce your stress through the forest bathing and increase your luck at this famous spiritual place!
- Traditional ascetic training at a solemn hall which was used as the setting of the Hollywood movie "The Last Samurai"
- Climbing up Mt. Shosha with a Ropeway and have a panoramic view of Himeji city
- Mountain climbing and forest bathing at a place known for its spirituality
- You can learn about the culture and history form a monk directly.
- Vegetarian cuisine with alcohol (Option)
Boarding a ropeway --> Arriving at Engyo-ji Temple by bus (A monk will pick you up) --> Zazen (Zen meditation) --> Shakyo (Hand-copying sutra) --> Try vegetarian cuisine(Option)
There is a temple which was used as the setting of a famous Hollywood movie, The Last Samurai. The temple is located on the top of a mountain where you can have a panoramic view of Himeji city. Climbing up the mountain by bus and Ropeway, you will arrive at a temple surrounded by bountiful forests. Practicing Zazen will enhance relaxation through meditation, and practicing Shakyo (hand-copying sutra) will enliven you with its medication feature. The specific Shakyo you will practice in this plan is called "Hanabira Shakyo (Hanabira means a flower petal). From children to adults, everyone can casually try this by writing down word by word on colored paper in the shape of flower petals.
If you add an option, after the practices, you will try Buddhist vegetarian cuisine. Buddhist vegetarian cuisine is what practitioners have at a temple as part of their religious training. Since it uses seasonal food and avoids meat, vegetarians can also fully enjoy this cuisine.
【Things to note】
Time：10:00~(Part 1), 12:00~(Part 2)
*Each part will be 3.5 hours
Meeting point： The Shoshazan Engyo-ji
2968, Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo, 672-2201
1. Take a bus for Mt. Shosha Ropeway (a cable car) at Himeji Station (1 hour)
2. A ropeway (5 min.) *Please purchase a ticket by yourself (Round trip 1,000 yen)
3. The mountain bus (5 min.) *Please purchase a ticket by yourself (one way 500 yen)
4. Arrive at Engyo-ji Temple
Language support：Fluent Japanese, Basic English
Tools necessary for practicing Zazen and Shakyo.
Ropeway ticket (round trip 1,000 yen), the entrance fee (500 yen), the mountain bus fee (one way 500 yen)
Vegetarian cuisine (Option)
【Cancellation policy】7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.