Discover the Best-Kept Secrets of Asakusa! (Private Tour)
- Duration: 120 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Taito-ku, Tokyo
- Product code: EN-TKO-1063-10630
【OUTLINE】Join a small private tour in Asakusa, one of Tokyo's most popular tourist spots and famous for its wooden temples and rows of shopping arcades. Unfold the hidden stories behind some of Asakusa's most iconic landmarks and learn about its long history with an experienced tour guide by your side. The tour content can be customized upon request.
- An experienced local guide will show you around the hidden spots of Asakusa.
- Take an in-depth look into Asakusa's history, which cannot be learned from a simple guidebook.
- This is a private tour for small groups.
- We can customize tour content upon your request.
【SCHEDULE】Meeting point → Kaminarimon Gate → Nakamise Shopping Street → The site of Kawatake Mokuami Residence Monument → Demboin-dori Street → Sensoji Engi paintings → Hozomon Gate → Main Hall → Nitenmon Gate → Asakusa Shrine → Backside area of the Main Hall → Statue of Ichikawa Danjuro "Shibaraku" → Oku Asakusa, Kenban-dori Street → Saruwaka Sanza → Matsuchiyama Shoden → Sumida Park Sanyabori Square → Observation Terrace
Walk with a local tour guide around Asakusa, a famous temple town that has survived the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake and the Great Tokyo Air Raid, and continues to carry culture from the Edo Era. First, you will depart from Nakamise Street while learning about the area's hidden history and anecdotes, which will allow you to see Asakusa through a completely different lens. Sensoji Temple was deeply associated with the Tokugawa Shogun family in the Edo Era, and you will learn more in-depth about the history of the Tokugawa family on this tour.
Moreover, Asakusa was the center of the culturally-rich Edo Era and where Kabuki actors and Geisha performers gathered. Just off to the side of Sensoji Temple was Shibai-machi (meaning theater town), where theaters from all over Edo (old Tokyo) were once gathered. It is believed that the town made a profit of almost one thousand 'ryo' (about 100 million yen at current value) per day. Today, there are still narrow streets from the Edo Era where you might be able to spot Geishas walking through.
Learn about the history and long-held traditions of Asakusa and immerse yourself in Japanese culture. Feel free to ask any questions along the tour – the tour guide will answer them to the best of their knowledge.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：2 hours
- Meeting point：Asakusa Culture Tourist Information Center [MAP]
・Tobu Isesaki Line(Tobu Skytree Line): A 5-minute walk from Asakusa Station
・Tokyo Metro Ginza Line: A 1-minute walk from Exit 2 of Asakusa Station
・Toei Asakusa Line: A 2-minute walk from Exit A4 of Asakusa Station
・Tsukuba Express: A 10-minute walk from Exit A1 of Asakusa Station
- Language support： Japanese, English (optional)
- Included： Tour guide fee in Japanese
＊If an English-speaking guide is necessary, please choose the option.
- Excluded： Transportation fee to the meeting point, personal expenses
(ex: food, drinks, shopping), English guide (optional)
- Participation requirement： Age 13 and over, min. 2 to max. 5 people
- Option：English guide 5,350 yen/group
- Free Wi-Fi：None
- Other things to note： The contents may change depending on the weather. We appreciate your understanding.
7 to 3 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.