Dye Sneakers and a Japanese Hand Towel Using Traditional Techniques!
- Duration: 120 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Fukuyama-shi, Hiroshima
- Product code: EN-HSM-4040-40400
【OUTLINE】Dye two items using two different traditional methods! One is indigo-dyeing that has been developed in Fukuyama over a long time.The other is a method using colorful chemical dyes to pursuing colors not available in nature. You will dye "tenugui" (a Japanese hand towel) with indigo and locally-produced sneakers with chemical dyes. Feel the history of Fukuyama from this dyeing experience!
- Try authentic Indigo-dyeing with natural indigo directly taught by the professional from a local establishment with a history of over 100 years.
- Bring back your original sneakers and "tenugui" (Japanese hand towel) as souvenirs from Japan.
- Get taught by a professional and make your original goods rich in color and pattern.
- Dye locally-produced sneakers developed from the original Japanese footwear, 'Tabi.' You will LOVE how comfortable they are!
- Relax and enjoy this dyeing experience in a cozy space that looks like a cafe.
【SCHEDULE】Introduction of the history of dyeing→Dye sneakers→Dye Tenugui→End
First, you will learn about the dyeing industry's development in Fukuyama. Next, you will dye sneakers, by hand, with 3 colors of your choice from 10 typical colors from Fukuyama and Japan. Then, you will dye "Tenugui." Choose your favorite pattern out of 3 and tie the cloth using rubber bands. You will put on "Samue," Japanese work clothes, and soak the Tenugui in the indigo pot. Lastly, you will take your original sneakers and Tenugui home with you!
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time: 120 min.
- Meeting point: Iwase Shoten & co. (Some-labo)
2-6 Ebisumachi, Fukuyama-shi, Hiroshima-ken, 720-0055, Japan
- Access: About 40 min. from Hiroshima Station! (By Shinkansenortrain) → JRFukuyama Station → (10 min. on foot) → Some-labo
- Language support: Japanese, English (using translation device and body language)
- Included: Materials for dyeing experience (dyes, tools, items to be dyed)
- Participation requirements: Min. 2 to Max. 8 people, 13 years and over, Not recommended for people with back problems.
- Free wi-fi: ×
- Toilet: Available
- Other things to note:
・The duration of the experience may be prolonged if the dyeing work drags on.
・The sizes of the sneakers are 22.5 cm to 27 cm for both men and women.
・Dyed Tenugui is basically for appreciation and not for practical use.
・Dyed shoes will be handed in the half-dried state to protect the rubber parts.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
【CANCELLATION POLICY】7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.