A Guided Exploration of Mt. Hakodate's Abandoned Fortresses
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hakodate, Hokkaido
- Product code: EN-HKD-5006-50061
Mt. Hakodate's abandoned fortresses, which look like they came straight out of a movie, are some of the most mysterious places in Hokkaido. An English or Japanese-speaking local guide, who's very knowledgeable about Mt. Hakodate, will show you to the historic and hidden fortresses that will surely fill you with child-like wonder! Even more, Mt. Hakodate is also known for its beautiful nighttime scenery. Please appreciate the unique charms of Mt. Hakodate on this exciting, 3-hour expedition!
- Explore mysterious fortresses that are registered as Hokkaido Heritage Sites.
- Many fortresses are scattered, hidden, and have few signs. It is difficult to find them without an experienced guide.
- Enjoy seasonal flowers and birds in Mt. Hakodate. The area is rich in nature, as it is separated from the city.
- The experienced guide will show you less-known but incredibly charming spots thanks to their extensive experience traveling in the area.
- Mt. Hakodate and its unique sights can be visited all throughout the year, and with just a moderate incline, you can enjoy a leisurely walk through Mt. Hakodate.
Meet up at the Mt. Hakodate Ropeway Sanroku Station at the foot of the mountain→Start hiking along the mountain path→Visit three fortresses（possibly two, depending on the walking pace）→Take a break for 20 to 30 minutes for using the restroom and having a snack→Go down the mountain→The tour ends at Mt. Hakodate Ropeway Sanroku Station at the foot of the mountain
Mt. Hakodate is the generic name for a large expanse of land with a mountain range of 12 low altitude mountains, all a result of volcanic activity. The building of the fortresses started in 1895, and five turret guns, large and small, were built as well.
The ruins of the fortresses are scattered around the mountain. As the ruins are getting old, there are areas that are off-limits or not accessible to amateurs. Our experienced guide will provide you with a comfortable and reliable tour.
You will start hiking along the mountain path and go on an expedition while listening to stories about Mt. Hakodate, such as its unique nature and the history of its war fortresses. The control center, powder-magazines, a water tank, an observatory, as well as turret guns all still remain from centuries ago. On the mountain, you will be able to take in a stunning panoramic view of Hakodate town on a sunny day. Beside exploring the fortress ruins, you may also enjoy observing flowers and birds native to Mt. Hakodate.
As Mt. Hakodate's incline is relatively moderate, you can enjoy a leisurely, low-stress hike.
Taking pictures with a fortress behind you will definitely look like a scene out of a movie!
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：180 minutes
- Meeting point：In front of the Mt. Hakodate Ropeway Sanroku Station at the foot of the mountain
19-7, Motomachi, Hakodate-shi, Hokkaido
The staff is waiting for you with a signboard
- Access：A 10-minute walk from Hakodate City Tram Jujigai Station
- Language support：English, Japanese
- Included ：Guide fee, a bottle of water (500 ml), Snack (typical Japanese snack)
- Items to bring：Clothes and sneakers you do not mind getting dirty, and easy to take on and off (snowsuit or jacket suitable for the season)
- Participation requirements ：
・Aged 10 to 70
・Those who can walk for three hours
- Free Wi-Fi ：×
- Other things to note：Those who have serious diseases such as heart condition cannot participate in the tour.
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.