Experience Authentic Japanese Indigo Dyeing with Artisan in Tokushima
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Tokushima-shi, Tokushima
- Product code: EN-TKS-7127-71271
Let's dye a handkerchief with a craftsman using indigo dyeing techniques that have been around in Japan since ancient times. As an option, you can have your own item indigo dyed by the artisan.
- Dye a handkerchief with real indigo dyeing methods handed down from old times
- You can talk with the craftsman who dedicates himself to indigo dyeing with conviction
- If you bring your item, you can have it indigo dyed by the craftsman (optional）
- Indigo dyed works by the artisan are available for purchase
- Rest assured an English-speaking guide accompanies you all through the tour from Tokushima Station
Meet up at JR Tokushima Station → Move by taxi → Experience indigo dyeing, talk with the craftsman, shopping → Move by taxi → Disband at JR Tokushima Station
It is said the origin of indigo dates back to 3000 BC or before. It was introduced to Japan during the Asuka era (592-710) and has taken root widely in the lives of ordinary people. The largest producer of indigo, cultivated throughout Japan, is here in Tokushima.
In this plan, you will visit the workshop of a craftsman who has inherited the ancient methods of indigo dyeing with a long history. After observing the workshop and talking with him, you will experience indigo dyeing of a small item (handkerchief). As an option, you can have your scarf (or any item so long as it is made of natural material) indigo dyed by the craftsman and have the finished product sent to your hotel. Also, there are indigo dyed products by the artisan available for purchase.
* Dyeing of the item you bring can be requested on the spot. Please pay 55 yen per 1gram there.
* Round-trip taxi fare is paid separately on-site.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：3 hours
- Meeting point：JR Tokushima Station, in front of the ticket gate
1-chome, Terashima-honcho Nishi, Tokushima-shi, Tokushima-ken 770-0831
- Access：About 1 hour by train from JR Takamatsu Station
- Language support：English
- Included：English guide (tour conductor), indigo dyeing experience fee (including a handkerchief)
- Excluded：Round-trip taxi fare, indigo dyeing expense for your own items
- Items to bring：Item of your own to be indigo dyed (basically anything is all right so long as it is made of a natural material) by the craftsman
- Free Wi-Fi：X
- Toilet：Western style
- Other things to note：
・ Indigo dyeing of your own item is optional. Please pay 55 yen per 1gram on-site.
・ Round-trip taxi fare is paid separately on the site.
・ Please take out travel insurance.
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.