Visit the Local Kabuki Theater "MEIJIZA" and Experience Kumadori Makeup
- Duration: 120 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Nakatsugawa-shi, Gifu
- Product code: EN-GIF-7140-71400
Experience the Kumadori makeup unique to Kabuki at the Kashimo MEIJIZA Theater, a playhouse that has been around since 1894. Once the Kumadori is complete, it is a photo time! You are an actor, with large and small stage props and stage sets that are actually used, on the stage of the theater with history. Make Oshikuma, a print of makeup, by pressing cloth on your face. That will be a great souvenir from the tour.
- Visit the theater which has been continuing from 1894
- Put on the Kumadori makeup unique to Kabuki
- Go up on the stage of the theater and get your pictures taken!
Watch the explanatory videos (10 minutes for two)
Tour the theater (15 minutes)
Put on Kumadori makeup (60 minutes)
Demonstration and photo shoot (20 minutes)
Remove Kumadori makeup (10 minutes)
Sign your name on a wooden board for donation and a receive a Tenugui hand towel (5 minutes)
Kabuki, performed by local amateur actors and rooted in the local area, is called "Ji-Kabuki" in Gifu Prefecture. It has been loved in the local community for over 120 years at the Kashimo MEIJIZA Theater, built by villagers in 1894, and continues to carry on its history and culture.
In this program, you will not only be able to tour the theater but also you can experience the Kumadori makeup unique to Kabuki.
At the end of the program, you are asked to write your autograph on a wood board for the roof of the Kashimo MEIJIZA. The signed wood boards will be used at the next retiling of the roof in about 20 years. The experience itself will serve to protect the culture of the area.
[What is Kabuki?]
It is a traditional Japanese performing art that began around 1670 and has been handed down from generation to generation.
The word Kabuki is derived from the archaic Japanese verb "kabuku," meaning "to lean" or "to be out of the ordinary." The expression kabukimono originally referred to those who were bizarrely dressed and acted freewheelingly, not bound by common sense.
In Gifu Prefecture, where the MEIJIZA is located, the Kabuki performed by local residents is called Ji-Kabuki, by attaching the prefix "ji" meaning "local" to Kabuki.
Kumadori is one of the makeup methods of Kabuki.
In Kabuki, it is clear at a glance whether a person is a hero or a villain by the makeup as he appears on the stage. The role determines the makeup. Colors tell whether he is good or bad, and the number of face lines expresses his strength and the degree of his emotions.
[Notes for Kumadori experience]
・Makeup is directly applied to the face. If you have sensitive skin or eczema on your face, you cannot wear makeup.
・If you wear contact lenses, less makeup is applied around your eyes. Still, please understand it may get into the eyes.
・Please wear clothes you do not mind getting dirty.
・If your hair is long, please tie your hair.
・If you have a beard, you cannot wear makeup.
・If you are wearing makeup, you need to remove it first.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：2 hours
- Meeting point：Kashimo MEIJIZA Theater / 4793-2, Kashimo, Nakatsugawa-shi, Gifu-ken 508-0421
- About 130 minutes from Nagoya Station
- Take JR Chuo Main Line from Nagoya Station and get off at Nakatsugawa Station
- Take the Kitaena Kotsu Bus from Nakatsugawa Station and get off at Manga bus stop.
From there, walk for 8 minutes.
- Language support：Japanese, English (by Pocketalk, translation device)
- Included ：Theater visit, Kumadori makeup experience, removal of Kumadori makeup, A donation for the preservation of Meijiza (wood board), A Tenugui hand towel given in return for the donation
- Things to bring：Cosmetics to be used after removing the Kumadori makeup
- Participation requirements：Aged 12 years and over
- Free Wi-Fi：◯
- Toilet：◯ (Western-style)
- Other things to note
・ Please wear warm clothes as the temperature drops from October. (The theater is not equipped with enough heating.)
・People with sensitive skin or beards may not be able to experience Kumadori makeup. Please consult with us in advance.
7 to 4 days in advance: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days in advance: 60% of the tour price
The day before/on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.