Small Sword Forging Experience Led by a Master Swordsmith (Basic Plan)
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Minokamo-shi, Gifu
- Product code: EN-GIF-7134-71341
You can learn about the traditional techniques of sword making, including the historical background, at the swordsmith workshop with history.
You can also work with a swordsmith to make a small sword according to the process of a real sword making. Lastly, you can take home your very own small sword.
- In Seki City, the home of swordsmithing, you can learn how to make small swords in English by a swordsmith who has inherited the Mino and Sekiden sword-making techniques.
- You can observe the craftsmen forging and experience making small swords in the actual swordsmith's workshop.
- You can take home a small sword which you made yourself.
- The swordsmith has a track record of dedicating swords to the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates in Abu Dhabi.
- Swordsmith is very kind and frendly
Meeting at Mino-Ōta Station
Brief introduction to Swordsmithing
Blade Tempering and Hammering
Readjusting and Grinding
Packaging the Finished Knife
Seki City, located in Gifu Prefecture, is one of the most well-known, highly regarded and most prestigious areas of blade production in the world. The Japanese swordsmiths of Seki continuing to produce in the traditional forging style that has been passed down for centuries.
Your day trip will start with a visit to the swordmaster's workshop. Your master swordsmith, Kanemasa Ohno, is second generation of swordsmiths from the school "Minoden". This sword school is the youngest of the five traditional schools.
You will start to learn about the history and philosophy of Japanese sword making and then, you will watch a demonstration by the master swordsmith. You will get hands-on and experience forging the iron with a hammer. The process of creating your own blade has different steps that you will learn in this amazing experience.
At the end you will complete this activity, marking with your name your blade.
Goo deep into the history and secrets of Japanese swords!
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：4 hours
- Meeting point：JR Mino-Ōta Station [MAP]
Otacho, Minokamo-shi, Gifu-ken
From Gifu Station take JR Takayama Line and get off at Mino-Ōta Station.
The journey takes about 30 minutes.
- Language support：Japanese, English
- Included：Blacksmith tour, Swordsmithing experience, Swordsmithing equipment rental (gloves, goggles, apron), Pick up and drop-off at the station, Your finished knife
- Things to bring：Clothes you don't mind getting dirty,
・Long sleeves, long pants made of cotton.
・shoes that cover your feet
- Participation requirements：
Minimum age is 12 years
Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Free Wi-Fi：None
- Toilet： ◯ (Western-style)
- Other things to note：
・Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
・You wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
・Lunch is not included in the price of this experience. Please prepare your own lunch.
・Please wear shoes comfortable to move in. (Sandals are not suitable as fire sparks might fly.)
7 to 4 days in advance: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days in advance: 60% of the tour price
The day before/on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.