Buddhist (Gomataki) Fire Ritual in a 1300 Year-Old Cave (Even Numbered Months)
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Shodo-gun, Kagawa
- Product code: EN-KGW-7152-71522
Held each night in a cave on Shodoshima with a history that spans 1,300 years and is a rare opportunity to participate in a Gomataki Fire Ritual. This activity includes taxi transport from hotels on the island and Tonosho Port.
- The chief priest will say a prayer for you and answer any questions concerning the ceremony.
- A local guide will give a lecture on prayer's manners.
- Before and after the main event, there will be a chance to see the magnificent sunset of Setouchi.
- Listen to the sound of the burning goma sticks echoing in the cave, along with the waves rolling outside, and heal any fatigue from your daily life.
JPY10,000～JPY29,200 (Tax Included)
(Varies depending on the season; see the details section for more on what each season entails)
① Pick up at Tonosho port, and then head to Mt. Bukkokusan by Taxi
② Experience the Gomataki Fire Ritual at Mt. Bukkokusan (about 45 min)
③ Drop off at the island hotel and Tonosho port
Your local guide will explain the history of Shodoshima and the Gomataki Fire Ritual.
Please have a special experience to pray for your wishes.
Route and times:
[April/August] Tonosho port/17:45→Mt. Bukkokusan/18:15-19:00→Tonosho port 19:30→Hotel Olivean 19:45
[June] Tonosho port/18:30→Mt. Bukkokusan/19:00-19:45→Tonosho port 20:15→Hotel Olivean 20:30
[October] Tonosho port/16:30→Mt. Bukkokusan/17:00-17:45→Tonosho port 18:15→Hotel Olivean 18:30
[Mt. Bukkokusan] Bukkokusan on Shodoshima is the 41st temple of the 88 temples at the Shikoku Pilgrimage, and a sacred place for mountain worship. The principal Buddha of the temple is the Buddha of Healing. The main hall is inside a cave where Kobo Daishi (a Buddhism priest in the early 9th century) trained. It is said that he burned bush in the cave and laid sea algae on top of it. He let sick people sit there and warmed them up until they got to sweat to recover from disease.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：2 hours
- Least participants：1 person
- Meeting point："Gift of the Sun" monument (Tonosho Port)
(Inside the Tonosho Port) Tonoshocho, Shozu-gun, Kagawa-ken 761-4100
From Okayama area to Tonosho Port
1. Okayama Station － Shin-Okayama Port: about 40 minutes by bus
Shin-Okayama Port ー Tonosho Port: about 70 minutes by ferry
2. Okayama Station ー Uno Station: about 50 minutes by bus
Uno Port ー Tonosho Port: about 90 minutes by ferry
Takamatsu Port － Tonosho Port: about 35 minutes by high speed boat
Takamatsu Port － Tonosho Port: about 60 minutes by ferry
From Teshima/Ieura Port
Ieura Port － Tonosho Port: about 50 minutes by ferry
- Tour conductor for 24 hours：None
- Accompanying National Government Licensed Guide Interpreter or Local Licensed Guide Interpreter：None
- Language support：Japanese, English (guide, written explanation)
- Meals (included in a tour fee)：None
- Included ：Transportation to/from the hotels in the island and Tonosho port, ritual participation, 1 piece of Goma stick
- Excluded：From the 2nd piece of goma stick, foods and drinks, transportation out of the island
- Special support：
・Strollers can be brought in
・ Luggage can be stored in the car
- Free Wi-Fi：×
- Toilet (Western style) ：× (available at places to visit)
- Clothes：The ritual takes place in dark cave in the evening. Please wear easy-to-move clothes and shoes that you are used to.
- Other things to note：
・Because vehicles pass through the mountains, the traffic may be closed during heavy rain or strong winds. If the tour cannot be held due to stormy weather, a full refund will be made.
・This plan is reserved for even-numbered months. If you would like to make a reservation for odd-numbers months, please use the "odd-numbered month" equivalent plan.
- Operating company：Shodoshima Kotsu
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
【TOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS】
Before booking the tour, please confirm the Tour Terms & Conditions and save the document.
【TOUR PLANNNER AND CONDUCTER】
Regional Branding Institute Co.,Ltd.
Aqua Terrace UⅡ bld. 8F, 2-20-3 Kaminarimon, Taiko-ku, Tokyo, 111-0034
Travel Agency registered with a Tokyo Governor 2-7547
A regular member of All Nippon Travel Agents Association
10 to 8 days before the departure date of the tour 20%
7 to 2 days before the departure date of the tour 30%
The day before the departure date of the tour 40%
On the day of the departure date of the tour 50%
After the tour departed, No show 100%