Learn Tokoname's Pottery Secrets with a Renowned Master
- Duration: 120 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Tokoname-city, Aichi
- Product code: EN-AIC-7168-71680
Enjoy an exceptional experience in Tokoname ancient town, where you will discover the art of Mr. Hirano, a 4th generation traditional potter. In his picturesque studio, hidden in the narrow streets of the pottery path, you will learn how to create your very own ceramic piece of work using characteristic Tokoname pottery techniques. Be prepared, as your teacher is a very traditional Japanese master: his skilled hands will show you the techniques passed through generations and his gestures are worth more than 1,000 words.
- Discover traditional pottery in the scenic old town of Tokoname, known as one of the Six Ancient Kiln areas of Japan.
- Practice traditional pottery techniques from a 4th generation Japanese craftsman.
- Create a unique ceramic piece inspired by classic Japanese shapes.
- Pottery made in Tokoname have the power to enhance the taste of water, tea, and alcohol. Come and understand why!
Explanation about Tokonameyaki pottery and the details of the experience (20 minutes) →Pottery experience (100 minutes)
【DETAILS】First of all, you will be given a lecture on Tokoname pottery by the master craftsman. Tokoname's technique has a 1,000-year history as one of the oldest kiln areas in Japan. You will understand what makes the soil so special and Tokoname pottery iconic through the ages.
After deepening your understanding, you can start your pottery experience! Create your very own original artwork depending on your skills: choose from a the simple tatara-weaving technique (perfect for beginners) to a more technical one such as himoduzuri or rokurozukuri.
Your creation will be sent to you in the following months, after the drying and baking process has been completed by the master. Please enjoy your creation at home with your favorite drinks, as it's iron-rich claywill mellow their taste and remind you of your precious memories from Japan.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：2 hours
- Meeting point：Zen Pottery Studio／6-119, Sakaemachi, Tokoname-shi, Aichi-ken
- Access：Take Meitetsu Limited Express for Chubu International Airport and alight at Tokoname Station. Walk for 10 minutes.
- Included：Material cost, Experience fee, International shipping fee
- Free Wi-Fi：×
- Toilet：〇 (Western-style)
- Other things to note：Please wear clothes you do not mind getting dirty.
Please bring an apron or a towel if possible.
Please keep in mind it can take up to 3 months for the delivery (by sea mail) of the finished item.
【CANCELLATION POLICY】7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.