Okinawan Indigo Tie-Dying Experience with a Skilled Craftsman
- Duration: 100 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Shimada, Shizuoka
- Product code: EN-SZK-7201-72010
Create a unique tie-dye T-shirt using Okinawain Ryukyu indigo, which has a beautiful transparent color like the sea. A talented and skilled teach you how to create your very own unique shirt. After your experience ends, please enjoy relaxing by sipping on the delicious tea made in Shizuoka.
* <What's Kudzu-fu?> It is the cloth woven with threads made from a plant called kudzu, Japanese arrowroot.
*<What's Okinawa Ryukyu indigo?> It is the indigo made in Okinawa, which can dye Kudzu-fu.
- Instead of using chemical indigo, Ryukyu indigo is used, which is rare in Honshu.
- Ryukyu indigo is very compatible with kudzu-fu and has a color as clear as the ocean.
- Dye your own organic cotton T-shirts.
- Learn about Oigawa kudzu-fu and visit the workshop.
[9:30/13:30] Talk about kudzu fabric and introduce the mechanism of indigo dyeing.
[9:45/13:45] Think about what kind of design you want and prep the design you have decided on. [10:15/14:15] Start indigo dyeing.
[10:25/14:25] The color develops in the water. The moment the color changes from green to blue is very inspiring.
[10:35/14:35] The next step is to use air to develop the color. When it dries, it becomes clear blue like the ocean.
[10:45/14:45] Allow the work to dry before leaving.
• During the drying time, you can enjoy a cup of tea and a conversation with the indigo dye artisan.
• It will take about 20 to 40 minutes to dry. In the meantime, you can go to Shin-Kanaya Station to see the steam train and pick up where you left off.
• If it doesn't dry out, put your work in a bag and take it home.
First, you will receive a lecture about kudzu fabric and an explanation about the indigo dyeing method. After that, you will decide what kind of design you want to create. To make the design you have decided on, you will do some preliminary work of tying the fabric with rubber bands. Afterwards, put the T-shirt in an indigo vat with a beautiful transparent color. When the indigo is sufficiently absorbed, take it out and let it develop in the water. The indigo is then air-dried.
It takes about 20-40 minutes to dry depending on the time of year, so you can chat with the artisans over tea, or go to Shin-Kanaya Station, about a 4-minute walk away, to see the steam train. (If you don't have time to let it dry, you can put it in a plastic bag and take it home.)
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：75-100 minutes
- Meeting point：OIGAWA KUDZU-FU
5-1 Kanayaizumicho, Shimada City, Shizuoka 428-0014
Get off at "Shin-Kanaya Station" on the Oigawa Railway Oigawa Main Line and walk 5 minutes.
Approx. 3 minutes by taxi or 16 minutes on foot from "Kanaya Station" on the JR Tokaido Main Line.
- Language support：Japanese, English, Chinese
*English assistance will be provided, but please understand that the guide is not fluent.
*Chinese assistance will be provided, but please understand that the guide is not fluent.
- Included ：Experience fee, T-shirt
- Excluded：Transportation, personal, and other expenses are not included.
- Items to bring：We recommend that you bring an apron if you have one.
- Clothes：Please come with clothes and shoes that you don't mind getting dirty.
- Participation requirements ：Preschool children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Free Wi-Fi ：〇
- Toilet(Japanese/Western style)：〇
- Other things to note：Please select your desired T-shirt size from S, M, L, and XL when you make your reservation.
M…Length 69cm, Width 49cm
L…Length 73cm, Width 52cm
XL…Length 77cm, Width 55cm
*Because it's a crew neck, it's fine if it's a little big.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
・Contactless ticket redemption
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.