Discover Ancient Seto Streets and the Art of Buddhist Statue Painting
- Duration: 140 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Seto-shi, Aichi
- Product code: EN-AIC-7205-72050
Aichi Prefecture has the largest number of temples and shrines in Japan. Would you like to feel the splendor of genuine artisanship in Aichi Prefecture? In this workshop, you can learn about history, culture, and the spirituality of Buddhism by enjoying handicraft.
- The workshop, where many religious works under restoration are placed, is an impressive space where you can feel the greatness of artisanship.
- We will also introduce the charm of the local shopping district and town, so you can fully enjoy Seto before and after the experience.
- Why don't you learn directly from the restoration artisan of Buddhist art and make your own accessory case?
[00:00] We will meet in front of the Manekineko Museum.
[00:05] We will pass through the Suehirocho shopping street and introduce interesting local shops such as retro coffee shops and kimono shops.
[00:35] When you arrive at the workshop, let's have a cup of tea with Setomono and take a break. First of all, we will listen to the explanation about how to restore Owari Buddhist altars while looking at the real thing.
[01:35] You can tour inside the workshop and see which part of the explanation is actually being repaired. You can also observe the artisan working.
[01:50] We will experience coloring the accessory case.
First , we will see the the tools that artisans usually use for coloring.
We will be shown how to use the brushes and paints necessary for restoration.
In this experience, enjoy casual coloring with ordinary paints. You can also try out the brushes that craftsmen usually use and feel the difference.
[02:05] In the free time after cleaning up, you can enjoy taking pictures and asking questions to the artisan.
[02:20] Dismissed at the workshop.
"Owari Buddhist altar is a type of craft that has been produced mainly in Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture since the early 17th century. Using high-quality wood from the suburbs of Owari as a resource, we have developed this craft as a low-ranking samurai job.
Because Owari Buddhist implements are made by division of labor by artisans in each manufacturing process, each part is highly specialized.
Why don't you talk with artisans and experience the genuine traditional techniques that are inherited, and see how colorful and precise Owari Buddhist altars are made?"
【Things to note】
- Meeting point：Maneki-Neko Museum [MAP]
2 Yakushimachi, Seto-city, Aichi 489-0821
- Access： About 10 minutes on foot from Meitetsu Seto Line “Owari Seto Station".
- Minimum number of participants：2 people
- Language support：Japanese, English( English assistance will be provided, but please understand that the guide is not fluent.)
- Included：Tour of the workshop, Experience fee, Beverages in the workshop, Guide
- Excluded：Transportation, personal, and other expenses are not included.
- Participation requirements：
・Over 6 years old
・Travelers can easily arrive/depart on public transportation.
・Not recommended for travelers with back problems.
・Not recommended for pregnant travelers.
- Special support：Luggage storage is available.
- Free Wi-Fi：Yes
- Toilet：Yes(Western style)
- Other things to note：
・Photography is not allowed due to copyright and portrait protection.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
・Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
・Contactless ticket redemption
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.