Learn About the History and Culture of the Buddhist Pilgrimage【Beginners Welcomed!】
- Duration: 210 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Zentsuji city, Kagawa
- Product code: EN-KGW-7222-72220
The Shikoku Pilgrimage is 1,2000km long and it takes at least a few days to complete the whole route. This tour is suitable for those who would like to learn about the Buddhist pilgrimage quickly as we offer a 3.5-hour walking tour with an educated guide.
- Those who are not familiar with pilgrimage are also welcome! The guide will explain in an easy-to-understand manner the background of the Shikoku Pilgrimage and the reason why the culture is treasured.
- The Shikoku Pilgrimage, which requires several days to walk the entire distance, has been condensed into a 3.5-hour tour.
- For lunch, we will have Kagawa's specialty, udon, at a popular local restaurant.
- You can enjoy the tour with an English guide for an additional fee.
1. Sohonzan Zentsuji
Zentsuji is known as the birthplace of Kobo Daishi Kukai (774-835), the Buddhist monk who founded the esoteric Shingon school of Buddhism. The Shikoku Pilgrimage starts here.
2. Hospitality experience
Hospitality is a unique custom in which locals serve pilgrims with tea and meals and provide inns.
3. Miyagawa noodle factory
For lunch break, we will have Kagawa's famous udon noodles.
The Miyagawa noodle factory, which has been around since the 1950s, is popular for its unchanging taste, which has a distinctive flavor of iriko dashi.
4. Koyamaji Temple
The area around Koyamaji is the hometown of Kobo Daishi, and it is said that he often played in his childhood.
Shikoku has been a place for various disciplines since ancient times as it's far away from the center of the country. It is said that Kobo Daishi Kukai, a local-born well-known priest in the 8th century, often practiced here and founded the 88 Shikoku Pilgrimage Site at the age of 42. And the Shikoku Pilgrimage involves visiting all of 88 pilgrimage sites in Shikoku. Initially, the pilgrimage was done mainly by monks. However, with the growing belief in the masters, many people from all over Japan and abroad are now joining the pilgrimage.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：3.5 hours
- Meeting point：Zentsuji Shogakumon
3-3 Zentsuji-cho, Zentsuji city, Kagawa Pref. 765-0004
From JR Zentsuji station
20 min on foot. 3 min by taxi. 8 min by a courtesy bus. (alight at Kyodokan mae and 3 min walk)
Access to Zentsuji：https://www.zentsuji.com/sanpai/koutsuakusesu/
- Language support：Japanese, English (additional fees apply)
- Excluded：Lunch and clothes
- Items to bring：Casual clothes and shoes suitable for walking
- Participation requirements：
・Those who can walk for 3 hours or more
- Free Wi-Fi：None
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.