Traditional Gold Leaf Plating Folding Fan Experience: Art that Survived Tragedy
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hiroshima-shi, Nishi-ku, Hiroshima
- Product code: EN-HSM-4055-40550
At the Rekiseisha factory, rebuilt around a chimney that survived the bombing of Hiroshima, learn about their foil application techniques and make your own gilded fan.
- This experience takes place at a factory that started as a sword dealer over 100 years ago and is now the largest producer of gilding paper in Japan.
- History permeates the very walls of the factory that was rebuilt with scrap wood that survived the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.
- Experiment with a patented technology that has found new life in modern interior design by using gold leaf to gild your very own fan.
- Learn from the factory's craftsmen and create a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your trip.
[00:00] Meet at the head office of Rekiseisha
There will be an introduction to the history of Rekiseisha before a visit to the factory, a building that was damaged during the bombing of Hiroshima.
[00:30] Make your own gilded fan constructed with Japanese washi paper.
[01:30] After finishing the fans, there will be time for a Q&A session, followed by a tour of the showroom.
This tour will take you to the factory that produces kingami, traditional Japanese gold leaf paper. We will also visit the chimney that survived the atomic bombing as well as other historic post-war parts of the factory. Lose yourself in a world of fantasy as you watch artisans create innovative gold and silver leaf papers that suit modern sensibilities all while protecting the traditional crafting methods of gilding. Afterward, join a lesson from one of the craftsmen where they will teach you how to gild your own fan.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Duration：1.5-2 hours
- Meeting point：Rekiseisha Head Office
3-20-4 Misasamachi, Nishi-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima, 733-0003
- Access：10-minute walk from JR Yokogawa Station and Hiroden Yokogawa Station. or about 10 minutes from JR Hiroshima Station, about 15 minutes from Peace Memorial Park by taxi or car.
- Language support：Japanese, English
- Included：Any expenses related to the factory tour and fan gilding activity.
- Participation requirements：Photography is not allowed due to copyright and portrait protection.
- Free WI-FI：Yes
- Special support：Luggage storage is available.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
・Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.