A Walking Tour of Matsushima's Temples and Shrines Collecting "Goshuin"
- Duration: 180 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Matushima-machi, Miyagi
- Product code: EN-MYG-7106-71065
This is a city walking tour where you will collect seal stamps with a local guide while visiting famous temples and shrines in Matsushima.
- Detailed explanations of the history and origins that you won't find in guide books!
- Local information that only a local guide can give you!
- The guide will give a detailed explanation of how to pray at the shrines and temples.
[9:00/13:00] We will meet at Matsushima Kaigan Station. Please check your temperature, wear a mask, and use the restroom before we leave.
[9:20/13:20] First, we will visit Zuiganji Temple, a national treasure and the most ancient temple in Matsushima, where we will have an explanation and receive a seal stamp (you can also purchase a stamp book if necessary).
Four Temple Corridor Stamp Book
[10:15/14:15] We will head to Yotokuin Temple, right next to Zuiganji Temple, for another explanation.
This is the location of the mausoleum of Masamune Date's daughter Aihime.
[10:30/14:30] From Yotokuin Temple, we will pass by Zuiganji Temple on our way to Entsuuin Temple for another explanation before receiving the seal stamp.
Here we will see the mausoleum of Masamune Date's hier Mitsumune.
[11:15/15:15] From Entsuuin, we will move on to Hiyoshi Sanno Shrine (built as a Shinto shrine when Enpukuji Temple, now Zuiganji Temple, was built) for another explanation, then visit Tenrinin Mausoleum (the mausoleum of Masamune's eldest daughter, Princess Gorohachi).
[11:45/15:45] The tour concludes with a visit to Godaido Hall and a view of Matsushima Bay. Godaido Hall was built by Lord Masamune in 1604 and features Momoyama era-style architecture.
[16:00] Zuiganji Temple: Try a Zazen meditation experience at the Zuiganji Temple, a National Treasure of Japan.. Even beginners can enjoy this 30~40 minute course.
*Some options available for a fee.
We'll meet at Matsushima Kaigan Station on the JR Senseki Line and visit some of Matsushima's major tourist attractions, such as Zuiganji Temple, Yotokuin Temple, Entsuuin Temple, Hiyoshi Sanno Shrine, and Godaido Temple, to collect seal stamps. By the end of the tour, your stamp book will be a great memory of your wonderful trip to Matsushima!
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Duration：180 minutes
- Meeting point：MatsushimaKaigan station, JR Senseki line [MAP]
Matsushimanamiuchihama, Matsushima-machi, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi 981-0213
- Access： Get off MatsushimaKaigan station, JR Senseki line
- Minimum number of participants：2 persons
- Language support：Japanese, English（Audio guide）, Chinese・Korean（Audio guide）
・English assistance will be provided, but please understand that the guide is not fluent.
- Included：Guide fee
- Excluded：Goshuin (seal stamp) fee and goshuin book fee
- Items to bring：Entrance fee for shrines/temples
- Clothes：Comfortable shoes, clothes
- Participation requirements：
・People who like to walk.
・Those who are able to visit shrines and temples.
・Not recommended for travelers with heart problems or other serious medical conditions.
- Special support：Schedule adjustments are available by request.
- Free WI-FI：No
- Toilet：Yes (Western-style)
- Other things to note：
・Tours are not available between December 31 and January 1.
・We will contact you by email if the tour is canceled due to bad weather conditions.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Face masks provided for travelers as needed
Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.