Natural Dyeing Experience Using Okumikawa Plants
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Kitashitara-gun, Aichi
- Product code: EN-AIC-7241-72410
Fabric dyeing with plants grown in Okumikawa. Make small items with unique Japanese patterns or your own original patterns!
- A hands-on dyeing experience using seasonal plants grown in Okumikawa.
- Listen to a lecture on the benefits of plants and the use of eco-friendly materials.
- Make original small items such as eco-bags, drawstring bags, and tenugui (hand towels) by creating patterns using strings.
- You can even learn how to make a unique Japanese pattern using a simple shibori technique.
[00:00] Activity Explanation
[00:15] Make a pattern with kite string or rubber bands
[00:45] Soak in plant liquid/color fixative
[01:45] Rinse with water and remove the string and rubber bands to reveal the pattern.
First, the instructor will talk about which seasonal plants are in bloom and their properties. Next, participants will choose a small item to make such as eco-bags, drawstring bags, tenugui (hand towel), stoles, etc. After making a tie-dye pattern using string or rubber bands, the fabric is dipped in a dye made from boiling the plants. After the color is applied, the fabric is dipped in a color fixative and then returned to the plant solution repeatedly to fix the color. While the dye is setting, participants can stroll through Toei Station and enjoy chatting over tea and sweets. After the colors have set, the fabric is washed in water, the strings removed, and you're all done.
【Things to note】
- Meeting point： datte Plant Studio [MAP]
42-1, Hirai, Shimoda, Toei-cho, Kitashitara-gun, Aichi pref.
An hour drive on Japan National Route 151 from Shinjo IC of Shin Tomei Expressway.
* Free parking lot is available on the site.
A 100 minutes from Toyohashi Station of JR Iida Line to Toei Station.
After arriving at Toei Station, take a Municipal bus to Toei Onsen.
A 17 minutes walk ( for 1 km) from Toei Onsen to the meeting point.
* The bus is available only from afternoon. Please catch a taxi when you start the experience in the morning
- Minimum number of participants：2 people
- Language support： Japanese, English（Guide）
- Included： Material costs
- Excluded： Transportation
- Clothes： There may be some splashing during the washing and dyeing process. Please wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.
- Participation requirements：
・Children between the ages of 5 and 12 must be accompanied by a guardian.
・Wheelchairs are accessible.
・Strollers are accessible.
- Free WI-FI： Yes
- Toilet： Yes (Western-style)
- Other things to note：
*The items created will be placed into plastic bags to be taken home as they are still wet. If you can return at a later date, the items can be dried here.
-Activity will take place rain or shine.
-We will wait for participants for up to 1 hour.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
3 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
On the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.