Experience the Craftsmanship of the Oroku Comb born in Kiso
- Duration: 5 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Kiso-gun, Nagano
- Product code: EN-NGN-7272-72721
In Kiso, where people frequently traveled through thanks to the Nakasendo trail, high-quality trees such as cypress grow. The locals have used these trees to make and sell products created from wood.
One of these crafts is called the Oroku comb and is still made one by one by craftsmen today. The tools are handmade to suit each craftsman as well. These carefully made combs effectively remove dirt from the hair, stimulate the scalp, and improve blood circulation. Experience craftsmanship while walking along the Nakasendo, where you can feel the atmosphere of old Japan.
- Get a real sense of the wonders of craftsmanship by seeing the meticulous and careful craftsmanship up close. Take one of these treasured crafts home with you.
- Through interaction with craftsmen, hear their thoughts on the combs.
- The Oroku comb is a traditional craft that local people try to protect despite a shortage of successors.
[09:15] Meet at Yabuhara Station
＝Move on foot＝
[09:30] Kiso Village Folk Museum: Introduction to the history of Kiso Village and the Oroku comb
[10:30] Observe a craftsman's demonstration and hand sawing
[11:30] Tea time with craftsmen
[12:00] Stroll around Yabu Harajuku
[13:00] Oginoya: Soba lunch
＝Move on foot＝
[14:15] Dissolution at Yabuhara Station
After learning about the history and the Oroku comb at the Kiso Village Folk Museum, watch a craftsmanship demonstration. By experiencing part of the craftsman's work, feel the splendor of craftsmanship.
After the experience, there is time to interact with the craftsmen while drinking tea, so you can listen to the story of how they have continued to make traditional crafts, and their commitment and life.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：5 hours
- Meeting point：JR Yabuhara Stationa [MAP]
Yabuhara, Kiso-mura, Kiso-gun, Nagano 399-6201
- Access：About 30 minutes by train from JR Shiojiri Station
- Minimum number of participants：2 people
- Language support：Japanese, English
- Clothes：Please wear clothes that are easy to walk in.
- Special support：Luggage storage is available.
- Free WI-FI：Yes
- Toilet：Yes (Western-style)
- Other things to note：
In case of typhoon or heavy rain, the tour cannot be operated. (Operates in light rain)
We will contact you by phone by the day before the experience.
For safety reasons, children under the age of 12 are not permitted to participate.
Please note that Oroku combs are only available for right-handed people.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
・Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.