Experience 200 Years of Craftsmanship: Wajima Lacquerware Studio Tour (Visit a craftsman's home)
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Wajima-shi, Ishikawa
- Product code: EN-ISK-7281-72812
Wajima Kirimoto has been involved in wood and lacquer craftsmanship for over 200 years (7 generations) in Wajima. They provide customers with products based on the concept of "things that are comfortable to use in daily life" and "containers that make ingredients look beautiful."
Until the product is completed, the wood craftsmen make full use of advanced techniques and process it repeatedly, and the lacquerer carefully repeats the lacquer coating while using different spatulas and brushes. This tour is an opportunity to see part of the the enormous process of making lacquerware and observe the state of craftsmen who face the making of lacquerware.
- Visit a historic workshop engaged in wood and lacquer for over 200 years since the Edo period.
- Enjoy award-level quality in a shop that has received the Reiwa 4th Year Ishikawa Wood Use award.
- Enter a craftsman's workshop that you cannot usually enter.
- Received the 3rd Mitsui Golden Takumi Award Grand Prix in 2018.
- You can experience lacquerware at the craftsman's home, which is a Japanese house.
[12:45] Meet at Roadside Station Wajima (Furatto Yume), Mr. Kirimoto will take you to the studio
[13:00] Studio tour (visiting the wood-making and lacquering workshops)
[13:20] Atelier tour & explanation of Wajima lacquerware
[13:45] Free time for souvenir shopping, etc.
[14:00] Moved to Mr. Kirimoto's house (moved on foot)
[14:20] Experience life in Wajima at Mr. Kirimoto's house
[15:30] Mr. Kirimoto will drop you off at Roadside Station Wajima
*Wajima Kirimoto products can be purchased after the tour ends. (Charges are at your own expense.)
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：3 hours
- Meeting point：Roadside Station Wajima [MAP]
- 20-1-131 Kawaimachi, Wajima-shi, Ishikawa 928-0001
- Language support：Japanese, English
・Facility usage fee
- Clothes：Comfortable clothes easy to move in
- Participation requirements：
・Wheelchairs are accessible.
・Strollers are accessible.
・Infants are required to sit on laps.
- Free WI-FI：No
- Toilet：Yes (Jestern-style)
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.