Experience Japanese Tea Ceremony - "Senchado" - Tasting and Serving Course (90 minutes)
- Duration: 90 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
- Product code: EN-KYT-2004-20042
Learn the history and practices behind the Japanese tea ceremony style called "senchado". "Senchado" is different from the widely known Sado style which uses powdered green tea. "Sencha" refers to a type of Japanese green tea prepared by brewing the processed whole tea leaves in hot water. "Senchado" is the formal art of enjoying high-grade "sencha". Enjoy popular "sencha" that Japanese people drink every day.
- Learn the history and culture of "senchado" at a unique tea ceremony school.
- Have a fun and casual experience enjoying traditional Japanese "sencha".
- Try making "sencha" on a table without sitting on your knees.
- Our school is easily accessible from Nijo Castle or Kyoto city center (neighborhood of Shijo-Karasuma) on foot.
- Taste famous tea and sweets from Kyoto.
Explanation/Tasting sencha during the tea ceremony (about 30 minutes) → Tea ceremony experience (about 1 hour)
"Sencha" is a type of green tea and is the most common tea in Japan. You can enjoy delicious "sencha" and sweets, while leaning the history and manners of "senchado".
First, you will take part in the "sencha" tea ceremony as a guest. While watching the host make tea, you will taste "sencha" and local sweets from Kyoto.
Next you will try to make the tea by yourself. As the tea is prepared on the table, you do not need to sit on the tatami mat.
The tea room is lit up after 6 pm and the "sencha" tea ceremony is held in a mystical atmosphere (the contents of the experience is same as the daytime session).
Tea utensils and leaves are on sale. Enjoy delicious sencha at home by utilizing the techniques you just learned.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：90 minutes
- Meeting point：Kyosaraku
580 Sanmonji-cho, Horikawahigashi-iru Nishikikoji,
Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
Kyoto Municipal Subway A 8-minute walk from Shijo Station (Shijo Karasuma crossing)
Kyoto Municipal Subway A 10-minute walk from Nijojo-mae Station
Hankyu Railway A 8-minute walk from Karasuma Station (Shijo Karasuma crossing)
Kyoto Bus A 2-minute walk from Shijo Horikawa bus stop
Hankyu Kyoto Line A 2-minute walk from Omiya Station
Randen Tram Line A 7-minute walk from Shijo Omiya Station
- Language support：Japanese
- Included：Experience fee, consumption tax
- Items to bring：Please wear sock or tabi socks in the tea room
- Participation requirements：6 years old and over
- Special support：Free of charge for a child of 5 or younger
- Free Wi-Fi：〇
- Toilet： 〇(Western-style, Japanese-style)
【CANCELLATION POLICY】7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.