Guided Hiking Tour of Matsushima's Sacred and Hidden Sites
- Duration: 240 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Miyagi-gun, Matsushima-machi, Miyagi
- Product code: EN-MYG-7106-71063
Discover the enchanting hidden sites of Matsushima, known as one of the three most scenic spots in Japan. You will visit off-the-beaten-track destinations not listed in guidebooks. Your guide will teach you the history and regional culture that only locals know. Located only 72 minutes from Sendai airport by train and only 40 minutes from Sendai Station, this is a great trip for those visiting Sendai.
- Close to Sendai, Matsushima is a secret gem for people looking for natural and gorgeous landscapes.
- Appreciate the unexplored charm of Matsushima with a local guide that has extensive knowledge of the area.
- See some of Japan's original, mysterious scenery that comes straight from ancient times.
- For a deeper experience, we recommend you book the meditation option as well.
- The meeting point is easily accessible from the airport and major cities around Sendai.
Meet up at Matsushima-Kaigan Station→Walking in the Ogidani hill, one of the four recommended viewing spots overlooking Matsushima→Secret tour (walk for 8 kilometers in about 4 hours while taking breaks)→The tour ends at Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Matsushima Bay is dotted with about 260 oddly-shaped rocks and beautiful islands. Matsushima is one of the three most scenic spots in Japan and it is the location where a historical military commander aimed to unify the whole country in medieval times. The breathtaking scenery of Matsushima has been admired by numerous people of culture and haiku poets.
Being given three stars by Michelin Green Guide Japan in 2009, Matsushima joined the World's Most Beautiful Bay Club in 2013. It has become known to the world along with Mont Saint-Michel Bay in France and Ha Long Bay in Vietnam.
Matsushima, known primarily for its beautiful landscape now, was revered as a sacred place to comfort the spirits of the deceased from the medieval ages. Only through this walking tour can you get familiar with ancient history and visit mysterious sites with a local guide. The 8-kilometer walking journey in the Ogidani hill, one of the four major viewpoints overlooking Matsushima, is a rare and secret tour. You may follow the course at your own pace while taking rests and enjoying the blue ocean and beautiful mountains.
Your local guide will be happy to take pictures for you. Unique pictures and stories will surely become a wonderful reminder of your visit to Matsushima. Have a great time exploring Matsushima's secret charm!
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：240 minutes
- Meeting point：Matsushima-Kaigan Station on JR Senseki Line [MAP]
Namiuchihama, Matsushima, Matsushima-machi, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi-ken 981-0213
- Access：Get off at Matsushima-Kaigan Station on JR Senseki Line
- Language support： Japanese, English (by using Google voice translation device)
- Include：Guide fee, entrance fee
- Excluded：Personal expenses
- Things to bring：Beverage, coins to offer at a temple or a shrine, etc.
- Participation requirement ：
・Children ages 5 and over can join the tour.
・The tour includes considerable walking.
・Wear comfortable clothes and shoes suitable for walking.
・Those who are willing to visit temples ad shrines
・Those who like to visit the Japanese temples and shrines or who are interested in Japanese religion
- Free Wi-Fi：No
- Toilet：Yes (Restrooms are available at JR Matsushima-Kaigan Station, Namiuchihama parking lot, JR Rikuzen-Hamada Station)
- Other things to note：
・The tour may be canceled due to bad weather. You will be notified of the cancellation by 17:00 on the previous day. The full price will be refunded.
・Health management is your own responsibility. You cannot attend the tour when you are not feeling well or after drinking alcohol.
・Please note that we do not take any responsibility or liability for any incidents such as theft, injuries, or accidents during the tour.
・Please follow the instructions of the guide and refrain from annoying or disturbing behavior.
・Our insurance doesn't cover injuries caused by carelessness. If necessary, please get appropriate insurance by yourself.
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be
incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.