Ukai Evening Plan -- Witness Traditional Cormorant Fishing on the Kiso River
- Duration: 75 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Inuyama-city, Aichi
- Product code: EN-AIC-7219-72193
Enjoy a 1,300-year-old cormorant fishing nighttime performance from a traditional boat on the Kiso River, Inuyama.
- Witness the traditional cormorant fishing technique can be traced back to 1,300 years ago.
- Enjoy the magic sight of the bird silhouettes diving into the glittering waters of the Kiso river under the light of the fire used to guide the boats.
- Appreciate the unique view of Inuyama lit up against the darkness of the night sky from the boat.
- Discover a historical place tightly linked to the great Japanese warlords Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Ieyasu.
Please note that tours start at 19:00 from June to August, and from 18:30 in September and October.
[18:30/19:00] Meet at the dock.
[18:45/19:15] Recieve an explanation from the fisherman about the history of the ukai.
[19:00/19:30] Embark and begin sailing on the Kiso River.
[19:15/19:45] Cormorant fishing starts.
The fishing will start as soon as the fire is lit on the ukai rafts. Enjoy a breathtaking view of the fishing performance from your spectator boat, only a few meters away from the diving birds!
[19:40/20:10]End of the performance.
Take a look at the lit-up castle on the cliff while going back to the port. Disembarkment.
At dawn, meet the fisherman and your captain at the dock. Feel free to ask them questions about their jobs. Then you will take a seat in the spectator’s boat and enjoy the summer’s evening view while sailing upstream on the Kiso river, where the performance will begin.
A fire lit at the prow of the fisherman’s raft will gather fish while and the cormorants’ silhouette will begin diving in the stream with shimmery water. We guarantee you a magical and unforgettable memory! The fisherman will then give your more information and answer your questions. On your way back, take an unforgettable look at Inuyama castle lit up on the top of the cliffed riverbank.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Duration：75 minutes
- Meeting point：Kiso River Ukai Yuran [MAP]
2 Kitahakusanbira, Inuyama, Inuyama City, Aichi 484-0081
About a 3-minute walk from the east exit of "Inuyama Yuen" Station to the Kisogawa Ukai boarding area
A 25-minute drive from Komaki IC on the Meishin Expressway or Komaki Kita IC on the Nagoya Expressway
- Language support：Japanese, English（Guide）
- Included：Boarding fee, interpreter
- Excluded：food and drink
- Participation requirements：Over 4 years old
・Strollers are accessible.
・Infants are required to sit on laps.
- Free Wi-Fi：No
- Toilet：Yes (Western-style) ※At boarding area only. No toilets or drinkable water is available on the boat.
- Other things to note：
· When reserving for more than 2 people, please apply for the option.
· Summer only plan, operated from 1st June to 15th October.
· In case of typhoons, heavy rain, or river flood, the plan will be cancelled. In that case, we will contact you by phone by the day before the experience.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
・Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
The day before the tour date: 50% of the tour price
On the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.